ACIH Executive Director Job Description
Job Title: Executive Director
Reports to: ACIH Board of Directors
Date Prepared: December, 2017
The Executive Director (ED) of the Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health (ACIH or the ‘Collaborative’) reports to the ACIH Board of Directors. The ED is responsible for implementing the board policy directives and strategic initiatives. Start Date is March 2018. The Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health is housed on the campus of Southern California University Health Sciences in Whittier, CA.
The Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health (ACIH) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that began in 2004 and incorporated in 2008. It is one of the four leading national organizations in integrative health and medicine. ACIH educates, collaborates and advocates for the inclusion of the values, practices and disciplines associated with integrative health and medicine (IHM). The ACIH membership includes 18 national organizations, over 30 individual colleges, universities and schools, and 15 associate organizations. Core members are the councils of colleges, accrediting agencies, certification and testing organizations associated with integrative health and medicine fields. This includes the five professions with a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency: acupuncture and East Asian medicine, chiropractic health care, massage therapy, naturopathic medicine and direct-entry midwifery. Additional members are organizations from emerging and traditional world medicine professions such as yoga therapy, Ayurveda medicine, advanced nutrition and homeopathy. The Collaborative has four working groups that consists of representatives from our various disciplines and focus on education, clinical care, research and policy.
The Collaborative fosters collaboration and is engaged in projects with many national organizations, including:
- The Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine and Health (ACIMH),
- The Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM),
- The Integrative Health Policy Consortium (IHPC)
- The National Academy of Medicine Division of Health and Medicine’s (formerly the ‘IOM’) Global Forum for Innovations in Health Professionals Education.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall administration of the organization, including supporting the ACIH’s board and committee work, membership growth, cultivating and working with major donors and foundations, and, with the board, fulfillment of ACIH’s mission and core values. The ED is responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization. As directed by the Board of Directors, the ED provides facilitation and the implementation of ACIH programs, activities, and projects in North America. The ED is an ex-officio member of the board and the Executive Committee. The ED needs strong communication, organizational and development skills. This is a .75 FTE (30 hrs/wk) position; Opportunity to be 1 FTE if desirable. About 50% of time will be spent on organizational work and 50% on membership and development. The ED will be responsible for:
- In collaboration with the ACIH Board and staff, is responsible for the implementation of the strategic goals;
- Developing the annual budget the Finance Committee, Director of Operations and conducting operations within the limits of the budget;
- Developing resources and raising funds (via grants for projects) from members organizations, colleges, individuals and organizations and so forth;
- With board support, cultivating and sustaining major donors, as well as overseeing grant proposals to support ACIH projects and activities;
- Cultivating, enhancing and sustaining ACIH membership and membership benefits;
- Enhancing the visibility of ACIH;
- Organizing and implementing fiscal planning and management of fiscal situations;
- Supporting the priority projects as approved by the ACIH Board and ensuring that the projects and activities align with ACIH’s vision and mission;
- Providing operational facilitation and staff support to ensure that appropriate and relevant structures, policies, procedures, and resources are in place in accordance with the corporate charter, by-laws, and policies as approved by the board of directors. In addition, the ED is responsible for ACIH being in compliance with all relevant laws and government regulations;
- Oversee timely compliance with IRS and any other legal requirements with governmental agencies;
- Supervising and training staff, and hiring, evaluating and terminating staff. Current staff includes a Director of Operations (.75 FTE) and a working group facilitator (25 hours a month).
SALARY AND TIME:
30 hours a week; Opportunity to be 1 FTE if desirable
Salary $75,000-80,000 to start.
Please contact Renee Clugston if you have questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL:
Interested individuals should submit the following, no later than January 21, 2018 to. Renee Clugston, ACIH Director of Operations, email@example.com.
1. Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae including two references, and
2. A two-page statement describing your interest in and qualifications for this position. Please discuss your knowledge of the disciplines that ACIH represents, experience in working in a non-profit, with boards & staff, and in development.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FUNCTIONS:
Board & Executive Committee
Monthly Exec meeting packets
Quarterly Board packets [also goes to Members orgs]
Financial Management & Administration
Quarterly Finance Committee reports
Development of annual budget
Monthly review of financial statements
Review of staff & contractor times/hours
Oversight of membership payments/status
Identification and communication with prospective partners, grants, major donors
Development of programs that will increase ACIH income
Public acknowledgment and thanks
Grant and donor reporting
Oversight of grant proposals
Oversight of membership
Increasing affiliate members
Individual issues and applications
Follow-up notes to invoicing and receipts
Presentations at member organization national meetings
Work with committee chairs or co-chairs, organize Finance, Governance, and other committee meetings.
Oversight of staff
Oversight of membership
Work with Board Chair and Director of Operations, organize the in-person board meeting
TO DOWNLOAD A COPY OF THIS JOB DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION, CLICK HERE.