ACIH Executive Director Job Description
Job Title: Executive Director
Reports to: ACIH Board of Directors
Date Prepared: September, 2017
The Executive Director (ED) of the Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health (ACIH or the ‘Collaborative’) reports to the ACIH Board of Directors. The ED is responsible for implementing the board policy directives and strategic initiatives. Start Date is January 2, 2018. The Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health is housed on the campus of Southern California University Health Sciences in Whittier, CA.
The Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health (ACIH) is a 501 c (3) non-profit organization that began in 2004. It is one of the four leading national organizations in integrative health and medicine. ACIH educates, collaborates and advocates for the inclusion of the values, practices and disciplines associated with integrative health and medicine (IHM). The ACIH membership includes 18 national organizations, over 30 individual colleges, universities and schools, and 15 associate organizations. Core members are the councils of colleges, accrediting agencies, certification and testing organizations associated with integrative health and medicine fields. This includes the five professions with a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency: acupuncture and East-Asian medicine, chiropractic health care, massage therapy, naturopathic medicine and direct entry midwifery. Additional members are organizations from emerging and traditional world medicine professions such as: Yoga therapy, Ayurveda medicine, advanced nutrition and homeopathy. The Collaborative has four working groups that consists of representatives from our various disciplines and focus on education, clinical care, research and policy.
The Collaborative fosters collaboration and is engaged in projects with many national organizations, including:
- The Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine and Health (ACIMH),
- The Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM),
- The Integrative Health Policy Consortium (IHPC)
- The National Academy of Medicine Division of Health and Medicine’s (formerly the ‘IOM’) Global Forum for Innovations in Health Professionals Education.
The ED is responsible for the overall administration of the organization, including strategic and operational responsibility for ACIH’s board and committee work, supporting the programs and activities, membership growth, oversight of staff, budget, and, with the board, fulfillment of ACIH’s mission and core values. The ED is responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization. As directed by the Board of Directors, the ED provides facilitation and the implementation of ACIH programs, activities, and projects - both internal and external - in North America. The ED also serves as an advisor to the Board and is an ex-officio member of the board and the Executive Committee. The ED needs strong communication, organizational and development skills. About 50% will be spent on organizational work and 50% on membership and development.
The ED will be responsible for:
- The ED, in collaboration with the ACIH Board and staff, is responsible for the implementation of the strategic plan;
- Developing the annual budget for the ACIH with the Finance Committee and Board approval, and conducting operations within the limits of the budget;
- Developing resources and raising funds (via grants for projects) from members organizations, colleges, major donors, allied individuals and organizations and so forth to sustain and expand operations;
- With Board support, cultivating and sustaining major donors, as well as overseeing grant proposals to support ACIH projects and activities;
- Cultivating, enhancing and sustaining ACIH membership and membership benefits;
- Organizing and implementing fiscal planning and management of fiscal situations;
- Supporting the priority projects as approved by the ACIH Board and ensuring that the projects and activities demonstrate the highest standard of quality and align with and manifest ACIH’s vision and mission;
- Providing operational facilitation and staff support to ensure that appropriate and relevant structures, policies, procedures, and resources are in place in accordance with the corporate charter, by-laws, and policies as approved by the Board of Directors. In addition, the ED is responsible for ACIH being in compliance with all relevant laws and government regulations;
- Oversee timely compliance with IRS and any other legal requirements with governmental agencies;
- Supervising and training staff, and hiring, evaluating and terminating staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a BA, preferably a master’s or higher in the field of health care or education. Will consider work experience if individual does not have a degree and has extensive experience in integrative healthcare. Successful fund-raising, program, fiscal and operations management experience, ideally a minimum of five years’ experience in organizational growth and management, preferably in health care.
- Must have familiarity with the field of integrative healthcare.
- Proven experience working effectively with a board of directors;
- Demonstrated record of fiscal responsibility and ability to grow the resources of an organization, including but not limited to the cultivation of major donors and success in obtaining foundation grants;
- Ability to increase financial resources over a sustained period-of-time, including the ability to manage diverse budgets to achieve growth and cost-effective results;
- Able to work effectively with diverse groups.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS WILL INCLUDE:
- Having a positive personal presence; respectful of others, has integrity; initiative; vision; openness; and being responsive to direction from the Board;
- The ability to create and maintain a partnership relationship with the Board;
- Has excellent oral and written communication skills; particularly with regard to interpersonal communication, is a good listener, speaker, and presenter;
- Mentoring and inspiring style in overseeing staff; and
- Being self-motivated and very well organized.
SALARY AND TIME:
30 hours a week; Opportunity to be 1 FTE if desirable
Salary $75,000-80,000 to start.
Please contact Renee Clugston if you have questions at email@example.com
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL:
Interested individuals should submit the following, no later than October 13, 2017 to. Renee Clugston, ACIH Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae including two references, and
2. A two-page statement describing your interest in and qualifications for this position. Please discuss your knowledge of the disciplines that ACIH represents, experience in working in a non-profit, with boards & staff, and in development.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FUNCTIONS:
Board & Executive Committee
Monthly Exec meeting packets
Quarterly Board packets [also goes to Members orgs]
Financial Management & Administration
Quarterly Finance Committee reports
Development of annual budget
Monthly review of financial statements
Review of staff & contractor times/hours
Oversight of membership payments/status
Identification and communication with prospective partners, grants, major donors
Development of programs that will increase ACIH income
Public acknowledgment and thanks
Grant and donor reporting
Oversight of grant proposals
Oversight of membership
Increasing affiliate members
Individual issues and applications
Follow-up notes to invoicing and receipts
Presentations at member organization national meetings
Work with committee chairs or co-chairs, organize Finance, Governance, and other committee meetings.
Oversight of staff
Oversight of membership
Work with Board Chair and Director of Operations, organize the in-person board meeting
TO DOWNLOAD A COPY OF THIS JOB DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION, CLICK HERE.